Anyone in their 30’s and younger is probably thinking that this blog article showing the difference between Facebook and Twitter is a joke! They’re very familiar with the two and probably only see the use of hashtags as any close parallel. However, you’d be VERY surprised to know that we get asked this question a lot! Many businesses want to know – Why should I even use Twitter? They think they’ve done really well just setting up their Facebook as a business page instead of a personal one. While that is impressive, it’s not enough.
Let’s look at the differences between Facebook and Twitter and see if you are missing opportunities using one network and not the other.
- Facebook networks People while Twitter networks ideas and topics.
- Facebook allows you to write a book (not that anyone is going to read it). Twitter limits to 140 characters per tweet.
- Facebook and Twitter allow the use of hashtags to group ideas / topics. Facebook incorporated this ideas patterned after Twitter.
- You can search inside of either network for topics, people, businesses and organizations.
- Facebook allowing more options is considered more difficult to use than Twitter.
- Both networks are capable of allowing some customization to include your branding.
- Facebook allows likes and friends while Twitter’s call to action is to follow.
- Inside of Facebook you will Like or Share something. Yet inside of Twitter you will ReTweet or Favorite Something.
- You can find your old elementary friends or high school love interest on Facebook. On Twitter you can find the latest topic trending – like the Oscars, News, Celebrity Stories and more.
Here is an infographic that explains more about the difference between Facebook and Twitter:
Learn how to use Facebook and Twitter in your Social Media Marketing
We offer training on social networks. Set a time to have a one-on-one training session with our team of Social Media Marketing Experts. You’ll learn how to set up your social networks, how to brand them, how to use them, and even what to post or tweet! It’s highly important that businesses get social these days! Don’t stress out about using them – get some training and GET SOCIAL!