Our WP Engine Review
We wanted to take a moment to share our WP Engine review with our audience and friends in the WordPress community. There’s a lot online when you’re looking up reviews on WP Engine. There’s some good and some bad. But here’s our honest take on our experience with them over the last few years.
Best WordPress Hosting Company
Investing in hosting for your WordPress website is a necessary evil when it comes to having an online presence. Every WordPress website everywhere has to have server space known as hosting. Who you choose to pay for that hosting space can be the difference between having a fast website or frustrating users and Google. That same hosting company can be added security or be the open gate to spammers and hackers. So you can see that who you choose is an extremely important selection and should not be made on a simple factor of price to meet a budget. Your business is worth more than $3 per month. Invest monthly on a hosting company that will partner with you to ensure online success!
We choose WP Engine and consider them to be the Best WordPress Hosting Company in the industry today. It was a choice made back in 2014 after attending a WordCamp in Austin, Texas, where the founder of WP Engine, Jason Cohen, spoke at a workshop. He challenge everyone in the audience to provide a premium product for their customers – not only so that we can charge more to our clients, but also so that they have the added security and support that they must have when using WordPress for their website.
One of our major decisions to move from GoDaddy to WP Engine was due to their incredible customer support. You can call, live chat, email, submit a support ticket and even tweet to them! They’re fast and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to any WordPress issue. When we called other hosting companies and asked them about a plugin or an error that we saw on the site – many times we heard an answer like, “We don’t work with WordPress. We can only help fix hosting issues.” What kind of help is that?
This will NEVER happen when speaking with WP Engine. Their support and tech staff consists of extremely knowledgeable nerds who LOVE WordPress and understand how to best serve you when you’re struggling or curious about a problem. Investing in their hosting packages meant that we had an additional support team for our team to fall back on. When we hit a wall with troubleshooting – we connect with WP Engine for their tech advice and we’re always able to solve the issues together.
As an individual business owner you’d be able to call them and with your monthly fee have an entire tech team at your finger tips. They’ll spend time of the phone with you and help you fully understand how to improve your website. They’re easy to understand and always answer their phones without 20 min wait times! Got to love that!
Plus did I mention that they’re located here in Texas? Their headquarters are in Austin, Texas, and they’ve expanded even more offices around Texas and internationally.
“We are grateful for the role we play in our client’s lives and businesses, we want to earn and re-earn their trust everyday.” – Heather Brunner / CEO of WP Engine
For us to move away from GoDaddy over to WP Engine was a 300% increase in cost. OUCH! But as we started to weigh the benefits – there was no turning back. While most “Big Box” hosting companies offer hosting as low as $3.00 per month – WP Engine is significantly more – starting at $29/month. They start to give you price breaks though as you add more websites. We, of course, have way more than just a few dozen sites to host. So we called up WP Engine and spoke to one of their sales reps who took time to explain the process and he worked with us closely to be sure that the transition away from GoDaddy into the WP Engine environment would be smooth for us and our clients.
That was back in 2014 and we’re still growing with WP Engine. Just we when look at that bill every month – we see them showing up at local WordPress Meetups offering support to the community for free. GoDaddy doesn’t do that! WP Engine is a WordCamp Sponsor & a WordPress Meetup Sponsor. They send their team members around the world to speak at WordCamps as their giveback to the WordPress community. They do giveaways and promotions that highly benefit small to medium sized businesses.
WP Engine also has vision when it comes to growing women in Tech. You know – if you know me – that’s a seriously important issue to WebTegrity and the majority of our team are all ladies!
Let’s talk benefits to choosing WP Engine as your WordPress hosting company. They’re vast so let’s make it easy and create a bullet list for us to marvel upon!
- They only host WordPress websites – making them focused and fabulous!
- Highly trained tech support who actually answer their phones 24/7!
- Customer Service – they just don’t stop helping! If you need anything – you can call, tweet, email, chat, or submit a ticket. They’ll answer fast and with an answer you can understand.
- Staging Sites – with just one click you can duplicate your website to have a copy to play with in a staging environment. This is key when making up dates or changes to your theme. Once complete – one more click takes the staging site live. You can’t beat that!
- Cache – they’ve got that built in. So you don’t need another plugin slowing your website down.
- They’ll grow when you grow. If you need more space, more installs, or more bandwidth – they’ve got the ability to expand with your growing needs.
- Added security and extensive knowledge about WordPress plugins
- Speed!!! If you need to speed up your website – apply one of their CDNs and watch your site fly!!
- Migration – there’s a free plugin they created to help you move your website in just a few clicks over to their hosting.
- 24 hour backups and one-click, FREE, restoration if you need to restore your website to an older version.
- Locally owned and operated – Texans!
- They’ll come to you! Check out your local WordCamp to see if WP Engine has a booth there. You can shake hands with your hosting company.
- Fun!! Did you watch the video in this article! Follow them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram! They love their team members and their team members love working there. Happy team = happy customers!
- Diversity. They want to see women advance in tech and they also support LGBT rights.
No one is perfect – especially when it comes to WordPress hosting companies. We have worked with Hostgator, Network Solutions, GoDaddy, BlueHost, Pagely (who was actually pretty great) and many, many others over the years. Some we’ve directly paid to work with. Others we’ve had to connect due to clients moving away from those systems. WP Engine truly has been the best to work with by far! But where we see some improvements needed still – well, here’s the short list.
- The $29 price could be a negative – but you do truly get back every penny and more when it comes to support and outstanding service!
- Blacklisted plugins – WPE has certain plugins that for various reasons they will not allow to be on your website. Some are blocked because of security flaws (so this is actually a positive) and others are blocked because they’re simply not needed – like caching plugins. WPE has their own system.
- Strong Passwords. This again is really a positive, but they require insanely strong passwords on their system for that added security. It can frustrate some users though.
- Shopping Cart Gateways – they are limited with who you can partner with for a payment gateway for PCI compliance. They offer PayPal and
- Down time – we have unfortunately had some limited down time with our websites over the last few years. Twice we lost all service on over 100 sites. They were down for 2 to 3 minutes. That’s death to some of our clients. We stuck with WPE though, because we believe in their company, and they were very transparent and helpful through the nightmare. Honestly goes far in this industry!
Overall Review of WP Engine
Overall – we are extremely happy with our choice to have two dedicated servers with WP Engine. It was a definitely gut punch in our budget to make the move happen. We’re a small digital firm, but there’s such peace of mind to tell our clients that their WordPress websites are secure and running on the best option in the industry.
Yes, we’ve had our speed bumps. The down time was a disaster in the moment. Thankfully that was last year and we’ve seen a significant improvement in their servers since they’ve made some advances in their environment.
“The positives certainly outweigh the negatives. After our nightmare experiences with other hosting companies – there’s simply no comparison. WP Engine is our champion and one of the key reasons for our success as a WordPress Digital Marketing Firm.” – Kori Ashton / Founder WebTegrity
You put your blood, sweat and tears into growing and improving your business. Your online marketing deserves to have a strong support system. WP Engine is well worth the investment monthly. Imagine the alternative. What will not investing do to your website and the user experience? Take some advice from a team who has 20+ years in the industry. WP Engine is the real deal. Give them a chance. They’re so confident that you’ll love them that they offer a guarantee that if you don’t fall in love – like we have – you can get your money back in 60 days!
Let us know if you love WP Engine like we do – Tweet to us 🙂